Subject: Re: Refraction?
From: [email-masked] (Mark Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 95 02:26:54 EST

David Warner <[email-masked]> writes:
> Raising any of LW's surface values will result in higher render times...
> an object with a reflectivity of 50% will render faster then an object 
> with a reflectivity of 100%...this is pretty much true for all of the 
> surface values, but we're not talking about very big numbers here.

Knowing the calculations involved, this does not make sense to me. With the
exception of refrective index and procedural texture frequency, they are
merely values in an equation that have no effect on other parameters. And
after testing it, I see no difference. However, by altering the surface
attributes, you could effect the number of pixels that are detected as
edges in adaptive antialiasing, and that would of course alter the render
time.
     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     *           Mark Thompson                  (603) 424-1829    *
     *         Fusion Films, Inc.             [email-masked]  *
     * Director of Animation and Special FX                       *
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
--
[email-masked] (Mark Thompson) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]